10 marketing stats to keep you warm this winter
Ah, January. It’s miserably cold, the fun of the holidays is long over, and Valentine’s Day chocolates are still weeks away – it’s about time we brought some cheer to this blah time of year! So we’re warming your winter blues with something we know you love: fresh, hot marketing stats.
Grab some cocoa, snuggle up, and enjoy!
1. 75% of Gmail’s 900M users access their accounts via mobile devices (TechCrunch). As we like to say, you aren’t walking around with a phone anymore – you’re walking around with a mobile inbox (with a phone app).
2. 83% of mobile users say that a seamless experience across all devices is very important (Social Media Today). Since mobile is such a big deal, it’s important to be sure you always optimize your emails and the landing pages they point to.
3. Using the word “video” in an email subject line boosts open rates by 19%, click-through rates by 65% and reduces unsubscribes by 26% (Syndacast). Even just the promise of a video in your email gets people excited and clicking.
4. Emails with social sharing buttons increase click-through rates 158% (Nonprofit Hub). Including links to your social sites in your emails is a quick way to up your engagement. But don’t do it for a cheap boost or to skew the numbers you report to your boss – do it because it’s a great way to tell your brand’s story across multiple channels.
5. 74% of marketers say targeted personalization increases customer engagement (eConsultancy). To really win with email, you have to be strategic about how you’re communicating with different segments of your audience rather than blasting all of them at once.
6. 92% of online adults use email, with 61% using it on an average day (Pew Internet Study). With so much opportunity to reach people, inboxes have become more crowded – and competitive – than ever. But if you can make your voice stand out above the rest, there’s a lot of winning to be had.
7. The two biggest factors influencing open rates are the organization the email is from (64%) and the subject line (47%) (Chadwick Martin Bailey). Though many marketers test their subject lines, testing your from name is an important step that's often overlooked.
8. Click-through rates are 2X-3X higher when marketers include a video in a marketing email (DazeInfo). People share video. If you want to quickly convey a message to me and get me to tell more people, put a video in your email.
9. 72% of email marketers who have used animated GIFs have recorded higher transaction-to-click rates (Experian). You’re not just seeing animated gifs in your inbox because they’re trendy, you’re seeing them because they’re actually working!
10. Nearly two-thirds of companies would like to improve their personalization (64%), marketing automation (64%), and segmentation (62%) (Econsultancy). If you don’t feel like you’re sending the right content to each subscriber, you’re not alone. Two-thirds of companies want to be better at truly personalizing their marketing – and luckily, today’s technology makes that easier than ever before.
Want to learn more about how to put these stats to good use in your own email marketing? Check out our latest content piece, 12 of the Smartest Emails to Hit Our Inbox!